Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I am interested in learning more about TJSWCD programs or implementing a project on my farm?2021-04-29T12:34:39-04:00
  • TJSWCD has a team of conservation specialist that can meet with you on your property to discuss potential options for the property based on your goals.
I am interested in discussing options for my farm but am unsure if it makes sense for me?2021-04-29T12:33:53-04:00
  • TJSWCD staff is happy to discuss options for your property to see if it makes sense for your operation. All of TJSWCD’s programs are voluntary and it never hurts to have a conversation on program possibilities for your farm.
I am interested in implementing a conservation project on my farm but I am hesitant to take on too much?2021-04-29T12:34:25-04:00
  • We completely understand! We often work field by field and can split projects into multiple phases instead of doing the entire farm at once.
I rent farmland, can I put a conservation project on rented land?2021-04-29T12:33:29-04:00
  • Much of the agriculture land in our area is rented land and we work closely with the farmer and landowner to develop a plan that works for both parties.
Who is responsible for designing the projects and overseeing construction?2021-04-29T16:21:59-04:00
  • TJSWCD staff will design the project and provide construction specifications, additionally they will meet with contractors and oversee construction.
What are the eligibility requirements?2021-04-26T10:53:42-04:00
  • Land in agriculture use ($1,000 in agriculture related income)
  • Active Ag. Operation (Livestock or Cropland or Hayland)
  • Perimeter fencing on property for Livestock Practices
  • Minimum of five contiguous acres
How does the approval process work?2021-04-29T12:24:14-04:00
  • Initial Site Visit – A staff member will meet the landowner or operator on the property to discuss property needs and landowner goals.
  • Initial Plan Map and Cost Estimate – A staff member will create a project proposal with an associated cost estimate for the project based on what was discussed at the initial site visit and send to the landowner or operator.
  • If the landowner or operator would like to apply for funding they need to fill out and submit an application before beginning any work.
  • Once TJSWCD receives the application the project is submitted to the Board of Directors for consideration at TJSWCD monthly board meeting. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis (except for Cover Crop applications) and will be considered for funding at the following monthly board meeting. Projects are approved based on funds available and the projects benefit to water quality.
  • Once approved construction or planting can begin once TJSWCD staff finalize designs and meet with any contractors.
  • Payment is made once work is completed and inspected by staff.
  • View Typical Conservation Planning Process
How do you come up with the cost estimate?2021-04-26T10:54:36-04:00
  • The cost estimate worksheet is based on what local contractors have historically charged for various services.  The footages for pipeline and fence are computed using mapping programs.  We always add 10% for fence/pipe to the cost estimate cover any minor changes to the plan.
Can I make the concrete pad bigger than the standard 18″ around the trough?2021-04-26T10:54:51-04:00
  • Absolutely.  District Staff can show you pictures of various ways that other participants have done water trough pads. If you are interested in a larger pad please discuss this with the TJ field staff. Make sure the contractor excavates down at least six inches so that the concrete pad doesn’t sit above the grade of the natural ground.  TJSWCD allows for an increased cost share rate for a larger pad.
Can I use living trees as posts and can I nail wire to trees?2021-04-26T10:55:05-04:00
  • No.  You must use posts that are driven into the ground.  You cannot nail/staple wire to trees or use trees as a brace post if the District is funding the project.
Once the project is completed what are my obligations?2021-04-29T12:45:27-04:00
  • By receiving cost-share funding you are contractually obligated to maintain the practice in good working order (regular maintenance/upkeep/repairs as needed) for the lifespan of the project (either 5, 10 or 15 years).
How will I receive my payment?2021-04-26T10:55:35-04:00
  • TJSWCD payments are a reimbursement of the actual or allowable costs of a project, whichever is less. Payment comes as one check after the installation of a project is completed.
When do I get Paid? Who gets the check?2021-04-26T10:55:47-04:00
  • You will be paid by the District by check once all elements of the practice have been completed. This means that the fence and water systems must be installed and functioning. The District doesn’t “pay as you go.” The person who signs the application and is responsible for the practice will receive the check. We don’t pay the contractor directly.
What happens if I have to sell or subdivide the property during the project lifespan?2021-04-26T10:56:01-04:00
  • There is a transfer or responsibility agreement that transfers the remaining lifespan of the property to the new owner. This can be worked for multiple parcels with special agreements relating to water supply. If you know that a property is likely to be split in the future, the project should be planned with this future division in mind.
Do you pay for gates?2021-04-29T12:27:38-04:00
  • We certainly encourage participants to add gates (or wire gaps) where they feel they will be most needed or utilized.  If you need to access a buffer for mowing or other purposes, plan ahead where gates would best be utilized.  Gates are treated as fence. 1 gate for every 800’ of fence is accounted for in TJSWCD’s per foot rate.