The Virginia Conservation Assistance Program (VCAP) is a cost-share program for residential or other developed land uses, providing financial, technical, and educational assistance to property owners who install eligible Best Management Practices (BMPs) in Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay Watershed. The Albemarle Conservation Assistance Program (ACAP) and Charlottesville Conservation Assistance Program (CCAP) are similar in purpose, with special funding from the County of Albemarle and the City of Charlottesville to further encourage practice implementation within those localities.
VCAP, ACAP, and CCAP practices can help you…
- Treat and control stormwater runoff
- Control erosion
- Conserve water within the landscape
- Improve riparian buffer areas
- Promote native vegetation and wildlife habitats
If you are a property owner, school or place of worship at least a year old you may be eligible for our programs!
STEP 1: If you are just learning about the program, we encourage you to view the resources below first.
STEP 2: If interested in scheduling a site visit with TJSWCD Staff to discuss the program and conservation opportunities on your property, please click on the “Request a Site Visit” button below to fill out our online Site Request Form.
Once submitted, staff will review your Site Visit Request Form and follow up with any necessary information. We will do our best to follow up in about a week after reviewing your site visit request.
Questions? Please contact:
** For any issues that may be caused by publicly-owned stormwater runoff or drainage systems, please contact your local government authority for further information and assistance.
Available projects include:
- Conservation Landscaping (native plantings of meadows, mulched beds, tree plantings) – 80% of costs up to $7,000
- Rain Gardens – 80% of costs up to $7,000
- Dry Wells – 80% of costs up to $7,000
- Impervious Surface Removal – $5.00/square foot removed up to $20,000
- Vegetated Stormwater Conveyance – 80% of costs up to $20,000
- Rainwater Harvesting Systems (250 gallon min) – $4.00 per gallon treated in a 1-inch storm up to $20,000
- Bioretention Facilities – 80% of costs up to $30,000
- Infiltration – 80% of costs up to $30,000
- Permeable Pavers – $14/square foot installed with a maximum payment of $20,000
- Green Roofs – $20/square foot up to $30,000